Electric propulsion systems
Features of the electric propulsion system
- Smaller total output.
- Ideal generator load balance can be achieved.
- In-ship system is simplified.
- Arrangement of equipment can be designed freely allowing for a wide cargo space.
- Ship manoeuvrability is improved by high torque at low speed navigation.
- Comfort is improved due to low vibration and low noise.
Comparison of an electric propulsion ship (8,444G/T, cement carrying vessel) and an existing ship
|Electric propulsion ship||Existing ship|
|Main engine||-||4,260kWm × 1 unit|
|Propulsion motor||2 units||-|
|For generator||1,600kWe × 3 units||1,600kWe × 1 unit|
|800kWe × 1 unit||660kWe × 2 unit|
|Emergency engine for generator||250kWe × 1 unit||250kWe × 1 unit|
|Total output||5,850kWe (6,285kWm)||5,4,260kWm + 3,170kWe(3,425kWm)
|Designed speed of ship||Approx. 13 knot||Approx. 13 knot|